Monday 2 April 2012

FASHION WEEK HIGHLIGHTS: LONDON, LONDON.


BURBERRY PRORSUM

Peplums, nipped waists,  pencil skirts, grandpa hats, tweed, bows, cropped puffer jackets and velvet were all present at the latest Burberry Prorsum show. The mix of femininity, masculinity mixed with 1940s shapes, texture and prints all sound like a hot mess but oh do they work so well together.




MOTHER OF PEARL
     
   
     
    
Addition to my list of new favourite labels is Mother of Pearl. Each season, designer Maia Norman works the collection around the work of certain artists. This collection in particular was inspired by the hallucinogenic artworks of Fred Tomaselli. Check out some of his beautiful paintings below.
I love how Maia Norman always manages to bring out the surfer girl in her with sporty elements without being overly sporty in her pieces. She still keeps it feminine with simple girly shapes and refined tailoring and beautiful eye catching prints. As I am often a heels girl, this collection makes me want to wear everything with sneakers. Especially feminine dresses and skirts.  

Images from Artnet.com



MARY KATRANTZOU


Digital print queen Mary Katrantzou gives us another spectacular  show with her signature prints. As spectacular as the show was though, I felt like I have seen it all before and it left me longing for more from Mary. The silhouettes and prints, it seemed like an extension to her SS12 collection, only in a different colour palette. Having said that, there were still some stand out pieces.



TOPSHOP UNIQUE
Topshop Unique brought an urban cool feel to the catwalk with their structured yet slouchy pieces in their Fall collection. The definite standout piece for me is this oversized waistcoat which I can see myself wearing with almost anything from skinny high waisted riding pants to wide leg pants to leather shorts.


PAUL SMITH

I'm not usually a huge fan of Paul Smith when it comes to the women's collections. He does great things for the male but when it comes to the ladies, he just doesn't quite hit the spot. This collection however, brings him closer. He's usual masculine reference does the women's collection justice this time round and as you know, I am all for the androgynous look. This outfit is the perfect. Masculine colours and style with feminine detailing and shape.
DION LEE
All images from Style.com

Our fellow Aussie, Dion Lee's first collection at London Fashion Week received  a positive reaction.   The stand out piece here for me is this dress, or is it a playsuit. Whatever it is, it is just so damn beautiful. Dion's work never fails to amaze me. He works with sheer delicate fabrics and unexpectedly manipulates it to create architectural works of art.

Honestly, I expected more from London Fashion Week. HIghlight collections stood out like a sore thumb because there were not much to compete with. Mother or Pearl, I would say was a key stand out for me, followed by Burberry Prorsum.

No comments:

Post a Comment